With great pleasure, on behalf of Association of Science, Technology and Innovation (ASTI), I would like to cordially invite students from your schools to take part in Young Inventors Challenge 2018. The challenge is team based and the team members can be comprised from more than 1 school. The prestigious event is based on proposals received, and the shortlisted best proposals will be chosen by more than 100 expert judges. These teams will be invited to participate in the grand finale.
The Association of Science, Technology and Innovation (ASTI) is a non-governmental organization (NGO) and also non-profit oriented organization working towards empowering young children through various projects such as Science Fair for Young Children (SFYC), Young Inventors Challenge (YIC), Creative and Critical Thinking Camp (CCTC), ASTI Leap Challenge (ALC), “On the Wings of Fire Series” and ASTI outreach programmes. Please refer to our website www.asti.org.my for more information regarding our projects.
Young Inventors Challenge (YIC) requires teams of up to 4-5 secondary school students to put their minds together and come up with an invention. The purpose of the programme is to build and encourage the creative and inventive capability of young people.
We started this program in 2013 as a pilot and the response have been remarkable ever since i.e. we have been growing at almost 100percent year on year.
- The Young Inventors Challenge 2013 (YIC 2013) theme was “GREEN INVENTIONS: IDEAS ON SUSTAINABILITY”. A total of 12 teams from all over the country participated in this pilot project, showcasing their green inventions at Wisma Belia on the 24th August 2013.
- In 2014, theme was kept the same; “GREEN INVENTIONS: IDEAS ON SUSTAINABILITY” and a total of 49 teams participated in the Grand Finale which was held at Dewan Dr.Siti Hasmah, Rumah Puspanita on the 20 September 2014.
- For 2015, ASTI expanded the competition more and the theme was “INVENTIONS TO HELP A MILLION: TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE”. A total of 145 proposals from various teams were received and 63 teams were shortlisted to participate in the Grand Finale. The final competition was held at Sunway University on 19th September 2015. There were 52 teams from all over the country who attended the Grand Finale.
- In 2016, new theme was introduced “INVENTIONS TO SERVE…” and we have received 204 proposals from 292 registrations. We have shortlisted 80 teams to participate in the Grand Finale. The shortlisted teams were given training which was held in Penang, Johor, Pahang, KL& Selangor, Sabah, Sarawak and Philippines. The Final Competition was held at Sunway University on 15 October 2016 with 67 teams participating.
- In 2017 ASTI expanded the competition even wider where we target 100 teams from Malaysian and ASEAN countries. The theme was kept the same “INVENTIONS TO SERVE…” and we had received 372 proposals from 480 registrations from 5 countries including Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand and Philippines. We have shortlisted 117 teams to participate in the Grand Finale. Online Students Training was conducted from May-June 2017 for the shortlisted teams. The Final Competition was held at CIDB Convention Centre, Cheras on 30 September 2017 with 102 successfully participated.
This coming year, YIC 2018 will be our 6th year and we would like to expand the competition even wider to invite more teams from various Asian countries. The theme will be “INVENTIONS TO SERVE…” and the guidelines for participation are as shown below:
Step 1: Form a Team of 4 or 5 people
Step 2: Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) /Fax (03-78778571) your team’s details with the following information by the 28 February 2018
|SCHOOL NAME & STATE:|
|MENTOR/TEACHER CONTACT NUMBER:|
|MENTOR/TEACHER EMAIL ID:|
|NO||PARTICIPANT’S NAME||IC NUMBER/PASSPORT NUMBER|
Step 3: ASTI emails out Young Inventors Challenge Students Manual and Proposal Writing Online Video
Step 4: Develop invention proposal based on the Students Manual and Proposal Writing Online Video
Step 5: Submit invention proposal to ASTI by the 28 March 2018
Step 6: Shortlisted teams will be notified via email by 30 April 2018
Step 7: Shortlisted teams will be guided with Online Training May –June 2018
Step 8: 3 months to develop inventions
Step 9: Inventions prototype showcased at the Grand Finale in September 2018
Please refer to attached Young Inventors Challenge Flyers for more information. If you are interested to take part, reply to us with the details of teams and participants as per table above in Step 2 by the 28 February 2018. Your school can submit as many proposals as you like (but 1 team, 1 proposal only). There is NO participation fee.
785 total views, 1 views today