THEME – “Green Inventions: Ideas on Sustainability”
An invention is a new composition, device, or process. An invention may be derived from a pre-existing model or idea, or it could be independently conceived in which case it may be a radical breakthrough. In addition, there is cultural invention, which is an innovative set of useful social behaviors adopted by people and passed on to others. Inventions often extend the boundaries of human knowledge or experience. An invention that is novel and not obvious to others skilled in the same field may be able to obtain legal protection via a patent. Research has shown that inventing will:
- Stimulate and foster creativity
- Enhance self-image
- Develop the essential skills of logical thinking, creative problem solving, intellectual risk-taking, and communication
- Relate the scientific method to real life
- Spark the inventive spirit in our culture
Sustainability is the capacity to survive. From the environmental point of view, it is how earth can continue to be a living planet. The earth provides us with sustenance for us to live. Human beings and their development have resulted in many advances in science and technology. It has also resulted in a change in the way we live. The current way in which we live has resulted in the Earth no longer being able to provide for us. Part of the problem is due to the way we live our lives. We live an unsustainable life. Currently, there is a movement toward development in a sustainable manner. It is called Sustainable Development. Sustainable Development can be defined as:
One of the reasons for the problems relating to sustainability is our modern education systems, which only emphasizes development. It assumes that development can result in happiness. Thus a new movement in education has also emerged called “Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)”. Simple actions that local communities can do to make their lives sustainable is Agenda 21 and local Agenda 21 which is a voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. Taking Invention and Sustainability into consideration, the Association of Science, Technology and Innovation, (ASTI) would like to launch an Open Category Competition for young people based on the Theme “Green Inventions: Ideas on Sustainability”. ASTI will also be the co-funder of the project.Sustainable Development (SD) refers to a mode of human development in which resource use aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for generations to come.
The Association of Science, Technology and Innovation (ASTI) is an non-governmental organization (NGO) working towards empowering young children through various projects such as Science Fair for Young Children (SFYC), Young Inventors Challenge (YIC), Young Scientific Explorer (YSE), and Creative and Critical Thinking Camp (CCTC). Science Fair for Young Children (SFYC) is a project designed for primary school students, and about 200,000 participants have taken part in this initiative, both at the school, regional and national level. As a follow up to the SFYC, a competition at a more advanced level for the Alumni was proposed in the form of the Young Inventors Challenge (YIC). Which requires teams of up to 5 Alumni each to put their minds together and come up with an invention under the Young Inventors Challenge 2013 (YIC 2013) theme “GREEN INVENTIONS: IDEAS ON SUSTAINABILITY”. A total of 12 teams from all over the country participated in this pilot project, showcasing their green inventions. Thus for 2014, ASTI would like to expand the competition to wider scope based on the same Theme GREEN INVENTIONS: IDEAS ON SUSTAINABILITY.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
Among the main aims and objectives of YIC are:
- To give an opportunity to young inventors to develop and showcase their inventions in the area of sustainability.
- To help Young inventors to experience the inventive cycle, from conceptualisation to product/prototype.
- To introduce the concept of sustainability to the participants
- To give opportunities to young adults who are inventive to promote their ideas to the outside world.
- Produce an original invention and receive recognition for participating in the event.
- Develop creative and innovative thinking skills.
- Develop teamwork dynamics to solve problems.
- Use resources such as the internet and library to hone their research skills.
- Learn to document their invention project.
- Enhance self-esteem.
- Acquire public presentation and writing skills.
- School students aged between 13 to 18 (Limited to secondary schools students enrolled in form 1 to 5)
- A team of 3- 5 person
- Teams are highly encouraged to be multi-racial
- Able to do proposal and presentations in English
MODE OF IMPLEMENTATION
- Information flyers will send to person(s) who are interested in the competition via the local newspapers, ASTI public relations team, teachers who attending Science Fair 2014 teachers training and others relevant ASTI events.
- Interested students will be required to form their teams of 3-5. Each team must have at least one Mentor, and submit their application to ASTI.
- The selected team will be given “YIC Students Manual” to come up with a basic idea for their invention, and the participant will required to send ASTI a proposal of their idea.
- The selected participants will be invited to attend “YIC Students Workshop” which will be conducted in 4 regions (South, North, Central and East).
- Post-workshop guidance will be given to the team by the Working Group Committee via phone conversations and emails to resolve problems faced by the teams.
- Selected inventors will be invited to exhibit their invention and do a presentation on the products they invent. Judges will judge each invention and give marks. The best invention will get winning awards and potential patent applications.
Green Technology and Methods particularly in the area of:
- Environmental Innovation
- Get Into Recycle
- Reduce Consumption and Increase Efficiency
- Production of Green products
We believe that this program can be a platform for young creative and inventive people to showcase their talent and possibly built their career in this area.