The ASTI Innovation in Community Award (ASTI-ICA)
ASTI-ICA is designed to recognise the contributions of an individual or a group of people in doing projects in the community by using Science and/or Technology and/or Innovative methods.
Background of the Award
ASTI recognises that great work and change can source their origin from simple acts of an individual or groups of individual. There are rare breed of people who see a problem and do not sit by and let the world dictate to them their future. These are people who work tirelessly, often not wanting recognition or, in most cases, are not recognised for their work, no matter how amazing they may be. These people also use simple and yet innovative methods to start their work.
ASTI, being a group of scientists, engineers, educators, professionals and more, recognises the need to be able to use knowledge effectively when conducting projects in society. Often some people are able to use their knowledge effectively with minimal funds to be able to make a huge difference in society.
With the above in mind, ASTI has launched this initiative called “The ASTI Innovation in Community Award, ASTI-ICA”. The objectives of this award include:
- To recognise individuals and/or a group of people (and the community in which they work) who use innovative methods to make a positive difference to the people around them (the community)
- To highlight these types of works in order to give young people a source of inspiration and role model in hopes of inspiring them to be positive change agents in their community
- To avoid already well-known change agents – but rather focussing on the newer up and coming, not yet recognised change agents.
ASTI-ICA will be administered by a committee elected by ASTI central committee who would request nominations for the award annually from its networks. The recipient can be from any part of the world. The committee will deliberate on the nominations received, and the award will be given based on:
- The impact of the project on the community both horizontally and vertically (horizontal = numbers-quantity, vertical = depth-quality)
- The innovative methods used in the project which include the effective use of resources and knowledge and the level of perseverance to achieve their goal.
We hope to give the award annually in conjunction with the Young Inventors Challenge, YIC. It can be given in person, or in absence when the person is unable to attend.
Funding and Budget
Considering the nature of ASTI being a non-profit organisation, the awards will be conducted modestly, with internally generated funds. Each year the quantum amount of the award will be determined by the ASTI central committee based on funds generated.
DATO’ P. KAMALANATHAN S/O. P. PANCHANATHAN , from Malaysia.
Former Deputy Minister, Ministry of Education, Malaysia
MR.PASKARAN SUBRAMANIAM , from Malaysia.
Former Assistant Director of School Management Division, Ministry of Education
Ramanujan Award for Outstanding Teachers (RAOT)
Association of Science Technology and Innovation (ASTI) aspires to be the premier Malaysian association for the promotion of education and understanding in scientific knowledge and also the organizer of Science Fair for Young Children (SFYC) and various other initiatives.
During SFYC 10 year Anniversary, ASTI launched a new award called the Ramanujan Award for Outstanding Teachers. RAOT is an award designed to honor teachers who have contributed to student’s achievements in both inside and outside the class rooms, specifically in the area of Science and Mathematics.
We invite teachers to nominate themselves or others whom you think deserve this award. The teacher need NOT have won any prizes or awards. We are also looking for the “unsung” teachers who show perseverance, tenacity and courage. However, the teacher must have been involved in SFYC for at least 3 years.
Winners of Ramanujan Award
- Ms. Nirmala Devi Murugesan – SJKT Bulor Akar
- Ms. Anurada Murugesan – SJKT Bulor Akar
- Ms. Vijaya Lechemi Venkitasan – SJKT Permas Jaya
- Ms. Saraswathy Munian – SJKT Taman Permata
- Mrs.Puzpayathi Govindasamy – SJKT Kangar Pulai
- Mrs.Gomathy Sankaran-SJKT Kangar Pulai
- Ms.Syiamala Devi-SJKT Ramakrishna
- Mrs.Logeswari- SJKT Jalan Yahya Awal